Friday, September 18, 2009

Handmade vs Yankee

As a candle maker I frequently checkout my competition to see the latest scents etc.
I recently went to the Yankee Candle website and instantly was shocked!
Their melting tarts - which are a little less than one ounce sell for 1.99! There fore a 6 pack of tarts would be 11.94 before shipping!
I ( as does Yankee Candles) make triple scented candles and tarts- the tarts are a full one ounce- and I sell 6 packs for 4.50- many times I have them on sale for 3.50 and I always include free tarts with every order
So I just have to ask- why would anyone continue to buy Yankee?

6 comments:

  1. People get on these jags, they think they are "in with the in-crowd" to buy certain brands, or maybe they just don't know any better. Yankee Candles are soooo overpriced, and also, I think they really aren't as generous with their scents as the small-scale candlemakers are. I have seen THIS SEASON'S Yankee candles IN THE JARS at 60% off because they have lost their scent so quickly. We had a lovely candle store in town, and honestly hers were better scented than Yankee, but she didn't have "the name" and eventually went "kaput."

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is too bad she could not survive against the "big" candlemaker- hers probably were a lot better like you said!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will definitely buy yours the next time I need candles. Thanks for the comparison...I can't get over your variety of scents. They're just wonderful, especially Butter Rum and Lilac Blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Doris! I look forward to having you as a customer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can HONESLTY say that your tarts are way better than Yankee. When I burn Yankee tarts the scent only last through a few burns. I pop one of your tarts in, Olde Crow Bakery is my fav and I can plug in let run for HOURS, unplug and do this over and over and I STILL get scent! Ive been burning an OCB since last Fri, every day and it still smells wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete